- Gyeongju National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage
- Buyeo National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage
- Gaya National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage
- Naju National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage
- Jungwon National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage
- Seoul National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage
- Wanju National Research Institute of Cultural Heritage
- Cultural Heritage Conservation Science Center
Purpose of Establishment
Each year cultural relics are unearthed in ever increasing quantities, while environmental pollution causes further damage to cultural heritages, raising the need to establish a national institute to undertake the conservation treatment of cultural heritages.
Thus, the Cultural Heritage Administration established the Cultural Heritage Conservation Science Center and tasked it with designing a comprehensive and systematic system of conserving the nation’s precious cultural heritages.
Targeting tangible cultural heritages consisting of such diverse materials as metals and paper, the center conducts a comprehensive range of conservation-related works including scientific investigation and research, status inspection, conservation treatment, and restoration.
Furthermore, the center provides conservation treatment and the relevant technical support to local research institutes, conservation treatment institutes, private partner firms, and university research institutes, along with education aimed at strengthening their conservation treatment capabilities.
About Conservation Treatment
The majority of metal heritages are unearthed from the ground, etc.,making them vulnerable to diverse types of damage depending on their burial environment and materials.
Before collecting important relics, advice should be sought from highly-experienced experts, literature on the relevant relic collection skills should be referred to, and a collection plan should be drawn up along with the selection and preparation of the relevant equipment.